We’re just a few short weeks from AIHce EXP 2018 and our team cannot wait to see everyone in historic Philadelphia. It goes without saying that one of the best parts about attending is the networking opportunities. Whether you’re at the beginning of your IH/OEHS journey or you’re just looking to connect with more of your peers, AIHce EXP is the place to make a true impact.
Networking can feel overwhelming, especially as you go through your day meeting with tens, if not, hundreds of people. As the wise Ferris Bueller once said, “[AIHce EXP] moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
“It” being your opportunities to network, of course.
Our team has put together a few easy and actionable tips for you to make the most of your time with some kick-ass networking in Philadelphia this May.
- Research speakers and attendees ahead of time. If you haven’t already started, now is the time to get to know our speakers, instructors, and your peers who will be attending in Philadelphia. By doing your research, you’ll be better prepared for networking in person. (Protip: You can look up speakers in the app!)
- Update your LinkedIn before leaving for Philadelphia. Even if you’re not looking for career opportunities, your LinkedIn profile is still a great way to put your best foot forward when heading to a conference. Has it been updated with your most recent position? Have you published any research that you haven’t added to your profile? Is all of your information up-to-date? You may only have a couple of minutes with someone you meet for the first time at AIHce EXP. What can they learn from you when they look you up on LinkedIn?
- Speaking of LinkedIn, use social media and the conference app to connect with others. As you’re doing your research to get to know the speakers, exhibitors, and attendees, be sure to see if they’re active on social media. If so, connect with them ahead of time. This is an easy way to help break the ice and start a dialogue before you meet face-to-face in Philadelphia. On Twitter, be sure to follow @AIHA and the #AIHceEXP hashtag.
- Know your value proposition. The most important question you can ask someone is “how can I help you?” so make sure your value proposition is clear. This is where the research we’ve been hinting at over the past couple of months becomes helpful.
- Build in time for following up at the end of each day. You’re going to be meeting a lot of new people and collecting a lot of business cards during the conference. On the flipside, the people you meet will also be having the same experience. Strike while the iron’s hot and send a connection/follow-up email during the conference, instead of waiting until you get home. The odds are, the speakers and peers you meet at the conference will be using their downtime to catch up with email and work. Reaching out to them while your interaction is still fresh will make a memorable impression and may even create additional opportunities for face-to-face conversation before you leave Philadelphia.
Most importantly, remember to breathe and be yourself. We can’t wait to see you in Philadelphia in just a few short weeks!
Berrak Sarikaya is a content strategist and brand amplifier based in Seattle, Washington.
AIHce EXP 2018, held in Philadelphia, PA May 21-23, is the EXPerience of the year for IH and OEHS professionals across the country. You’ll be exposed to the latest trends, needs, and research impacting worker health with experiential education sessions, networking opportunities with like-minded professionals, and the tools you need to solve your workplace challenges. This highly-rated event also offers a robust virtual experience for those that want to reap the benefits of conference without the travel. Register today.